Saturday, September 5, 2015

2.3 My Field of Study

                                                           2.3  My Field of Study 


1. What do students in your program learn to do? 

I am currently double majoring but I will be focusing on Psychology in this blog post. It is obvious that Psychology is the study of mental behavior and life. Students in the psychology program gain solid understanding of the three domains: Cognition and Neural Systems, Social Psychology, and Clinical Psychology. Psychology is one of the most popular degrees at The University of Arizona and that is not surprising since Psychology is very interesting. Not only is Psychology interesting, but graduates with this degree have many career opportunities. A Psychology degree is so versatile that there are so many possible jobs out there for someone with this degree! Going to graduate school is even better since the career opportunities are even more rewarding and fun!


2. What do people who get degrees in this field usually go on to do for work? 

As I already stated before, there are many career opportunities for graduates with a Psychology degree. A graduate with a Psychology degree can basically have any job they want since this degree is very versatile. The career opportunities are even more rewarding with more education. Most graduates with this degree go to graduate school to become either a psychologist or any other occupations in the health/medical field.


3. What drew you to this field? 

I chose to study Psychology because this degree allows individuals the opportunity for personal growth and there are countless numbers of career opportunities. This is the reason why Psychology is one of the most popular majors in the world! One of the strengths of a psychology degree is the variety of career paths for graduates. The career opportunities are even more rewarding with more education. Another reason that drew me to this field includes the fact that a psychology degree is an excellent way to learn more about yourself and others. I always wondered about human behaviors and other topics that is related to psychology. In addition to this, psychology is basically needed in every possible job in our society. That is why it is very important to have a solid understanding of everything related to psychology. Another reason why I wanted to study this major in college is that the job outlook for Psychology majors is very good. It was predicted that the employment of psychologists was expected to increase at a rate of about 18 percent through the year of 2020. There is a high demand for psychological services in hospitals, schools, rehab centers, substance abuse treatment centers, and so on. Another reason why I chose this major is that I like working with other people and making a difference in people's lives. I've always had a passion for volunteering and helping other people. I have experience working with special education students which will truly help me in the future. Hands on experience is very important and I know that I will benefit from that past experience. I will definitely benefit from that past experience when I apply to graduate schools and when I start working after I graduate from college. Another reason why I chose this major is because I find Psychology very interesting. I also did very well in my first psychology class since I got an A in that class. I know that I will have a bright future studying Psychology and my other major here at The University of Arizona. My plan is to graduate from college, apply to graduate school, and then pursue my dream job in the health field!


4. Who are the leaders/most exciting people involved in your field right now?

Some of the most important people in the Psychology field include B.F. Skinner, Sigmund Freud, Ivan Pavlov, Kurt Lewin, Jean Piaget, and many other psychologists.


5. What are the leading academic/scholarly journals in your field? Where are they published? Give us the names and locations of at least 3.         

The Interpretation of Dreams
https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=SSRZhqprat0C&oi=fnd&pg=PR5&dq=sigmund+freud&ots=HQ_C3o15IC&sig=tavZkH15i1fcRZieMIe5SFwW9bA#v=onepage&q=sigmund%20freud&f=false

Science and Human Behavior
https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=Pjjknd1HREIC&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=b.f+skinner&ots=iPsdAxE2lF&sig=m-aBCx2Ilew4byJHNqNxGL-0F0M#v=onepage&q=b.f%20skinner&f=false

The Origins of Intelligence in Children
http://www.bxscience.edu/ourpages/auto/2014/11/16/50007779/Piaget%20When%20Thinking%20Begins10272012_0000.pdf






Reflection:

One person was also majoring in Psychology. I found out that this person was fascinated by how the brain works and why we do the things we do. This is similar to me because I also find that to be very interesting! Another person was planning on majoring in Criminal Justice Studies which is really cool. This person wanted to major in Criminal Justice Studies because he wanted to solve crimes. Solving crimes does bring closure for families and loved ones. Graduates with this major can become a crime scene investigator which is really cool. I love the show CSI and this person wants to actually be a detective!

The blogs I commented on are as follows: Krissandra McNeil and Chris Gentry 

3 comments:

  1. Psych nurses are in high demand and make big bucks. I would recommend getting a foot in the door somewhere first and getting experience but 10 years ago an ex of mine was making $45 an hour as an RN Psych nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I am a physiology major looking into minoring in psychology. I find the human body so intriguing especially how the mind and brain works. I learned about the high demand for psychologists I didn't know of this before your article, Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I am a physiology major looking into minoring in psychology. I find the human body so intriguing especially how the mind and brain works. I learned about the high demand for psychologists I didn't know of this before your article, Good job.

    ReplyDelete