Thursday, November 19, 2015

13.2 Punctuation, Part 2



The Quotation Mark- I already knew how to use quotation marks properly but I never knew how to quote in another quote. I never knew that even existed! From reading this chapter, I now know how to do just that!

Hyphens/Dashes- I always used hyphens and dashes in the same way. I never actually knew the difference between hyphens/dashes. From reading this chapter, I learned how to use hyphens and dashes correctly!

The Semicolon- To be honest, I am not really good at using colon and semicolons. That's why I usually avoid using them. From reading this chapter, I learned the difference between the semicolon and colon. I now know how to use them correctly. I learned that it is very important that the two parts are independent clauses.


Reflection:

I learned a lot more about three new topics, which include the quotation mark, hyphens/dashes, and realized that I made a few mistakes in my own essay. I fixed some of my sentences because some were not grammatically correct. For example, I used unnecessary commas, and I used the colon/semicolon incorrectly. These topics really helped me improve my grammar!


 Examples from my essay-

According to the U.S. Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)--there is an average of 293,066 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year.” (Francis, 2010) 

“The limited statistics that exist almost certainly vastly under-represent the number of male victims.” (Russell, 2015) 


*Both of these quotes are examples that show the quotation marks used properly. I also properly cited the quote.  

No comments:

Post a Comment